Driver Training and Education
Timelines for a Teenage Driver Education Course
- If a student successfully completes 32 classroom hours within the contractual timelines, the student may keep that phase of instruction, and transfer it to another class, another commercial school, or to the parent-taught program. The student will not be required to repeat the classroom phase of the course.
- If a student completes less than 32 classroom hours and the contractual timeline ends, the student loses all classroom credit hours and must retake the entire classroom phase.
- If a student completes 32 classroom hours, 6 hours of driving, and 6 hours of observation and the contractual timeline ends, the student may keep the 32 hours, but loses the 6 and 6. They must retake the in-car portion.
- If a student completes 31, 6, and 6 and the contractual timeline ends, the student loses ALL credit and must take the entire driver education course over again.
- Only the 32 hours of classroom credit can be transferred when a student exceeds the contractual timelines and wants to transfer to another class, another commercial school, or to the parent-taught program.
- A new contract or variance may be executed to extend a timeline only if it is done prior to the completion timeline of the original enrollment contract.
- Any re-enrollment or variance charges must be clearly stated on the contract(s) and agreed to in writing by all parties.
- Schools may grant a variance or execute a new contract only if it is done prior to the completion timeline of the original contract.
- Variances may be made at the discretion of the school owner, and the parents must agree to them in writing.
19 TAC, §176.1010 – Attendance and Make-Up
(i) Except as provided in subsection (j) of this section, the enrollment of students who do not complete all required instructional hours within the timelines specified in the original student enrollment contract will be terminated.
(j) Variances to the timelines for completion of the driver education instruction stated in the original student enrollment contract may be made at the discretion of the school owner and must be agreed to in writing by the parent or guardian.
19 TAC, §176.1008 - Contracts - A contract must contain…
(b)(12) a statement indicating the specific location, date, and time that classroom instruction is scheduled to begin; the date classroom instruction is scheduled to end; and the amount of time a student has to complete all make-up assignments and in-car instruction.
For additional information, contact us.