19 TAC 74.1027 Adopted into Commissioner’s Rules
This newly adopted code provides districts the authority to award diplomas based on local alternative requirements, in addition to other alternative testing as outlined below. Further details can be found at this link: https://tea.texas.gov/About_TEA/Laws_and_Rules/Commissioner_Rules_(TAC)/Adopted/18_04_Adopted_New_19_TAC_§74_1027/.
Testing Information Regarding Former TAKS Examinees Taking STAAR
Based on recent legislative actions, the Texas Assessments of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) tests are no longer being administered. Former TAKS examinees (including former Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills [TAAS] and Texas Educational Assessment of Minimal Skills [TEAMS] examinees) can take the appropriate State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR®) test. STAAR may be used as an alternate assessment to meet graduation testing requirements for former TAKS, TAAS, and TEAMS examinees.
- English language arts (ELA): Former TAKS, TAAS, or TEAMS examinees who have not met the graduation requirement for the ELA reading and/or writing tests may take the STAAR English II test.
- The STAAR English II test (both paper and online) contains sub-headings for each section, Reading and Writing.
- Examinees who have not met the graduation requirement for both reading and writing will take both Reading and Writing sections. Both sections must be completed the same day.
- Examinees who have not met the graduation requirement for the reading test only will take the Reading section only.
- Examinees who have not met the graduation requirement for the writing test only will take the Writing section only.
- Mathematics: Former TAKS, TAAS, or TEAMS examinees who have not met the graduation requirement for the mathematics test may take the STAAR Algebra I test.
- Science: Former TAKS examinees who have not met the graduation requirement for the science test may take the STAAR biology test.
- Social Studies: Former TAKS examinees who have not met the graduation requirement for the social studies test may take the STAAR U.S. history test.
To indicate on the answer document that examinees are former TAKS, TAAS, or TEAMS examinees, mark the following in column D of the AGENCY USE field.
- student taking replacement for TAKS/TAAS/TEAMS English II (both reading and writing), Algebra I, biology, or U.S. history
- student testing for reading requirement only (English II)
- student testing for writing requirement only (English II)
Completing the appropriate information in column D of the AGENCY USE field will ensure former TAKS, TAAS, and TEAMS examinees are held to the appropriate passing standards (not the STAAR passing standards) and are not included in campus/district accountability.
Additionally, a TAKS graduate may request a district decision regarding whether the examinee qualifies to graduate and receive a high school diploma.
For more information, District Testing Coordinators should refer to the email from Student Assessment@tea.texas.gov dated. October 9, 2017.