The beginning of the year can sometimes feel very hectic but it is a good time to remember the importance of building one thing: Relationships. Forming relationships with your students and their families becomes crucial, especially these first few months.
Here are some ideas:
- Classroom environment –
- Ask parents to share about their family and share pictures with the classroom.
- Add multicultural props to Dramatic Play Center – i.e. molcajete, taco shells, saris dress, chopsticks, etc.
- Create classroom art projects
- One-on-one time –
- Take some time to spend individually with each student
- Write down what their interest and likes are
- Greet each student as they walk into your classroom
- Notice how they are feeling and acknowledge their emotions