Based on the September 23rd STAAR Alternate 2 TETN on September 23, 2016 , there are only minimal changes to STAAR Alternate 2 for the April 2017 test administration.
Key dates for the 2017 administration are:
March 17, 2017 – last day for Test Administrator Training
March 20-31, 2017 – Preview Window for teachers to prepare needed accommodations
April 3-21, 2017 – Assessment Window
April 24-15, 2017 – Verification Window (new)
The soon-to-be published Test Administrator Manual will have clarified policies on Confidentiality, Security of Materials, Presentation Instructions, and Scoring Instructions.
Minor changes in Allowable Accommodations include the elimination of Photocopying which is replaced with photocopying guidelines in the Test Administrator Manual. “Use calculator to arrive at response” has been expanded to “Use calculator, manipulatives, or math tools to arrive at response” and the accommodation on rereading sections of the text has been re-worded.
There were reminders from TEA on the No Authentic Academic Response (NAAR) designation:
- State assessment decisions are to be reviewed annually. Students who received a NAAR designation in the previous year should be monitored for skill development and be reconsidered annually.
- There should be evidence in the student’s IEP beyond the NAAR Eligibility Requirements form. The decision should be supported in the PLAAFP statement. The types of activities attempted with the student (released tests, daily instructional activities) and the outcomes should be recorded in the deliberations or elsewhere.
Already posted documents include:
Documents still to come:
- Essence Statements (scheduled for October and henceforth will come in October, not the spring as they had previously)
- The PowerPoint slides from September 23rd TETN (any day)
- STAAR Alternate 2 Test Administration Manual (different from the Educator Guide which provides general guidance for the year)
- TEKS Curriculum Frameworks (to include the updated Pre-K guidelines)
If you are a Region 13 district or charter school employee and would like to view the September 23, 2016 STAAR Alternate 2 TETN, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for the recording of TETN Event # 43175.
Contacts: Ann Jacobson at email@example.com, Darcy Schiller at firstname.lastname@example.org, Ann Jinkins at email@example.com or the TEA STAAR Alternate 2 team at firstname.lastname@example.org