TEA has shared information on the new online version of STAAR that will be available beginning in March 2017. STAAR A and STAAR L will no longer be used as the online version will take their place. What we know is limited to the communication from State Assessment:
- The new version will have embedded accommodations, accessibility feature, and non-embedded accommodations (not in the platform)
- There will be embedded accommodations for text to speech, language and vocabulary supports, and content supports
- Accessibility features will be included (TBD)
- Accommodations students use during STAAR administration will be selected on the basis of documentation in the IEP of current instructional accommodations, routinely and effectively used in the classroom; students will receive only the specific accommodations he or she uses
- If students’ ARDs or Section 504 committees had selected STAAR A assessments for Spring 2017, IEP/504 plan will need to be updated to reflect each assessment the student will take and the specific embedded accommodations and non-embedded accommodations (i.e., supports that are not part of the technology platform) that the student requires during testing. It will be a case by case decision as to update through an ARD or through an IEP amendment.
- The accessibility features that are available to all students in the online version of STAAR do not need to be listed in a student’s IEP or Section 504 plan, unless the student’s ARD or Section 504 committee wants to ensure that the student uses a certain feature.
We have a list of questions as we are sure you do about the new online STAAR. A TETN is scheduled Friday, September 23rd, 9:00-12:00 at which TEA will share additional information and address questions. Please feel free to join us at Region 13 in Treaty Oak to learn and problem solve with us.
Contacts: Kim West email@example.com, Ann Jacobson firstname.lastname@example.org, or Ann Jinkins email@example.com