TEA has shared their Fall Updates for the 2018-2019 STAAR Alternate 2!
- There is no longer a verification window.
- Students who transfer/move to a new district ON OR AFTER the first day of the STAAR Alternate 2 testing window do not have to be tested.
- For the 2019 administration, student booklet images will be in full color except for historical photos and images where color is found to be distracting (e.g. multiple sets of geometric shapes).
- Initial orders of student booklets will be shipped based on students registered during Student Data Submission window, not enrollment estimates as in previous years.
- Beginning with the 2018-2019 school year, the general oath will no longer be found in the back of STAAR Alternate 2 Test Administrator Manual. The new online District and Campus Coordinator Resources (DCCR) includes the new interactive oath.
- TEA will be requesting a waiver for the 2018-2019 school year in order to assess more than 1.0 percent of students, based on assessment data from 2017-18. This will be similar to the request made for the 2017-2018 school year.
- STAAR Alternate 2 must be administered with the student booklet.
- Use of the image cards is optional.
- A test administrator may use image cards for multiple students if there is no evidence of reuse or that accommodations were applied (e.g. highlighting, coloring, cropping, etc.).
- Examples of ways that “clean” image cards may be used for multiple students include pairing the cards with text and presenting answer choices one at a time.
- New resources include the Science Vertical Alignment document and Science Curriculum Frameworks.
- STAAR Alternate 2 is an untimed assessment, and the test does not have to be given in one session. See the full TETN presentation for timing options.
- TEA has outlined best practices for utilizing the Preview Window. Any presentation of materials or introduction of concepts or topics prior to test administration is considered a serious irregularity. See the full TETN presentation for more information.
Coming in October
- Updated STAAR Alternate 2 Educator Guide
- NEW revised Medical Exception Eligibility and No Authentic Academic Response requirements in both English and Spanish
- Updated Instructional Terms Lists and Essence Statements
- Revised STAAR Alternate 2 Test Administrator Manual (non-secure portion) (posted 10/01/2018)
- Enrollment Window: October 22-November 9, 2018
- Enrollment counts for large print should be submitted during the “district submits participation counts” window of October 22-November 9, 2018.
- Preview Window: March 18-29, 2019
- Assessment Window: April 1-23, 2019
- Region 13 will be presenting two free workshops focusing on STAAR Alternate 2 administration
Questions? Contact Jennifer Russell at Jennifer.Russell@esc13.txed.net or 512-919-5206 or Darcy Schiller at Darcy.Schiller@esc13.txed.net or 512-919-5224.