Where can you find the updated Accessibility Features for the upcoming STAAR?
To get the most up to date information concerning STAAR testing and the Accessibility features, visit the new District and Campus Coordinator Resource online at http://txetests.com/dccr.
What is accessibility?
Ensuring that each student can interact appropriately with the content, presentation, and response mode of the test.
Assessments should allow all test takers to demonstrate their knowledge of the content being tested without the format of the assessment, non-tested language, or the type of response needed to answer the questions being barriers.
In order to meet this goal, various features and supports are made available on paper and online tests to students who use the same or similar supports during classroom instruction.
The Accessibility features can be found in the District and Campus Coordinator Resources website.
- Available to any student who regularly benefits from the use of these procedures or materials during instruction
- No need to document use of Accessibility Features in student paperwork, the answer document, or in the Texas Assessment Management System.
- A student may need to complete the test in a separate setting in order to eliminate distractions to other students and to ensure that the security and confidentiality of the test is maintained.
- A student cannot be required to use them during testing.
- Coordinators are responsible for ensuring that test administrators understand the proper implementation of these procedures and use of these materials.
Typing a student’s response to the writing prompt into the online test for any grade 4 student who is taking STAAR writing online and cannot type proficiently has been added as an Accessibility Feature.
Eligibility for Basic Transcribing does NOT need to be determined for 4th grade students taking the STAAR writing online test and using this feature; however, the procedures for Basic Transcribing MUST be adhered to.
Stay tuned to What’s So Special… for the following blog posts:
- Updates for 2018-2019 Designated Supports
- New Online Features for 2019 STAAR
Have a question? Contact the Special Education Instructional Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.