More specifically, what makes a great special education teacher? The Council for Exceptional Children has released a position paper on the evaluation of special education teachers that takes into account the complexity of the modern special education teacher’s job. The general factors they identify include:
- Including Fundamental Systemwide Components
- Identifying the Complex Role of the Special Education Teacher
- Measuring the Use of Evidence-Based Practices
- Recognizing the Professionalism of Special Education Teachers
- and Continually Incorporating Findings from Research
Read more about these recommendations Position_on_Special_Education_Teacher_Evaluation_Background and take a look at their suggestions for further use here: Ten ways to Use CEC Position.
These papers suggest various means of adding input to the conversation. Teachers are welcome to add further comment in the boxes below this post.